December 13, 2011

Dietician update

I went to my dietician appointment yesterday. I really had mixed feelings about what to expect. Any dietician I have ever been to has put me on a meal plan with rules.

She asked me a ton of questions. Like do I dream of food? Does what I eat consume most of my thoughts? Am I worried about body image? What was my weight before I started dieting?

She asked what a typical day looked like for eating. Here is what I told her.
Breakfast: oatmeal, toast, milk
Snack: fruit
Lunch: Could be casserole or meat, grain and veggie
Snack: Veggies and dip
Supper: Soup
Snack: Peanuts
To my surprise, she said I was on the right track. In fact, the only thing I need to change is to make my meals more well rounded. A meal means they consist of 3 to 4 of the food groups. So pick 3 or 4 of these: Dairy, Protein, Fruit, Vegetable and Grain. So you can see at breakfast I only had dairy and grains. Not a meal because I only had 2 food groups. That is a snack. I could easliy add a fruit in there or some bacon to make it more rounded.
Now weekends are another story. I eat junk. I drink beer. I double my calories. She still wants me to enjoy things but not to spike up my calories by so much. She said it is typical for someone to vary by 300 calories a day. And that is what the body can handle. So I need to keep my diet the same even though it is a weekend.

She does not want me to count calories or measure food. She is just trying to get me regular so I can feel when I am hungry. She gave me a hunger worksheet. I need to chart how I feel before I eat on a scale of 1 to 10. And then chart how I feel after. I will also be writing down what I eat so she can make sure I am getting enough calories. Believe it or not, my goal is to maintain my weight right now. Not sure how I feel about this goal but she said it is hard to do and we need to get my body used to it. Right now my body is used to fluctuations. It never knows when it is going to starve or overeat.
I see her in 3 weeks.

Goals for the next 3 weeks:
1. Write down hunger levels
2. Write down what I eat
3. Eat more well rounded meals
4. Maintain my weight
5. Eat more well rounded on weekends

Live healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment