October 26, 2011

Principle 5: Feel Your Fullness

Chapter 9 according to Intuitive Eating.

Listen for the body signals that tell you you are no longer hungry. Observe the signs that show you're comfortably full. Pause in the middle of eating and ask yourself how the food tastes, and what your current fullness level is.

Here is what comfortable satiety feels like:
* A subtle feeling of stomach fullness
* Feeling satisfied and content
* Nothingness - neither hungry nor full

Start with conscious eating. Be patient with yourself this will take time.
1. Pause in the middle of a meal or snack for a time out. Ask yourself if the food you are eating is worthy of your taste buds. Or are you eating because the food is just there? Ask yourself what you fullness or hunger level is. Are you still hungry or is your hunger going away?
2. When you finish eating (whatever the amount), ask yourself where your fulness level is now. Did you reach comfortable satiety or did you surpass it? And by how much?
3. Discover your fullness level. Journal your fullness level so you can start getting back in touch with it.
4. Don't feel obligated to leave food on your plate. This is a diet mentality.

Increase consciousness:
1. Eat without distraction.
2. Reinforce your consious decision to stop! This can be as simple as moving your plate away from you.
3. Defend yourself from obligatory eating. Practice saying "No thank you".

The next chapter will deal with satisfaction factor and chapter 11 is devoted to if you can not stop eating. This is the chapter I need to read.
Although I did want to share my HUGE win with you!
My husband took me out to eat for Mexican. I ordered the fajita salad. I ate half and consciously realized I was full. I stopped eating. I gave the plate to him to finish. It was amazing! I had the power - not the food! It felt great. These principles I am sharing take a long time to master. Just remember that every step along the way is a learning experience. Learn from it and move on! Do not dwell on it.

Live Healthy at thinchic.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment